Monday, November 14, 2011

Elecraft K2 - Serial Number 007239 Build. Day 14

Hours 2:24:00    Total Build Time:   34:04:00     Nov 14, 2011


Well, it had to be done some time....   I came to the step in the construction of the RF board where the capacitors are loaded on the board and soldered.  The first thing that I realized was  it was going to take forever sorting through the capacitors trying to find them.  I think I remember the step right before the installation of the first capacitor saying that all the capacitors should be sorted but who wants to do that..... :)  


The capacitors are not like the resistors.  The resistors come loaded on a tape in the order that they are used on the board.  Its a matter of verifying the color code, cutting the resistor off of the strip, and loading and soldering onto the board.


The capacitors came all mixed together.  The only capacitors that were not mixed together were the .01 uf and .001 uf .


Lots of really small capacitors!

Yes I spent 2 hours and 24 minutes tonight just sorting and taping the capacitors together.  First I was going to put the capacitors in zip loc bags.  After thinking about that I was going to use envelops.  Finally I decided that scotch tape would work and I would write the id number used in the manual on the tape.

Capacitors taped together


I am finally finished sorting them.  The biggest problem was with the small blue colored capacitors.  The ID number on them was in silver.   I had a hard time trying to identify them even under the lighted magnifying glass.  I would have to shade the capacitor just right to see the numbers on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment