Friday, November 11, 2011

Elecraft K2 - Serial Number 007239 Build. Day 11

Hours 3:15:00    Total Build Time:   25:54:00     Nov 11, 2011



Its been over 24 hours now on the build time and I have finally reached the step to turn on the K2 transceiver for the first initial power up test. This test will check the front panel, Control board, and the control chip and relays on the RF board. 



Well I was glad that the radio powered up with no problems the first time.  As I thought about it for a while, all it would take is one component in the wrong place or with the wrong polarity, or a cold solder joint or bridge somewhere....   Well, I just have to pay attention to each step and hope that the components are ok.


Its working!
After the initial power up, there where several other checks that needed to be completed.  First was the optical encoder test.  This test checked to see if the display was working correctly.  By pushing the rate button, I could verify that the display frequency changed correctly depending on the rate setting.

Next I tested to see if the 'band +' and 'band -' switches would cycle through all of the amateur radio bands.  As the band switches were pushed, the frequency display would change to the correct band and you could hear the relays clicking to accommodate the frequency.

I skipped over the section of the manual to construct an RF probe.  I decided that I would build that later when I needed it.

The next step was the construction of the 'Frequency Counter Probe'.  I found the parts and began construction.

Frequency Counter Probe
To test the probe, I had to enter the 'calibration' menu.  One of the menu items under the calibration section is the frequency counter.  With the Frequency counter activated, I tested the trimmer capacitor C22 which is just below U1.  It read 3999.98 hz which was within specs.

Next was the test of the CW keyed.  I connected my keyer to the radio and it worked correctly.  After that test the next test was setting the AGC threshold followed by the S-Meter alignment and 'Bargraph Current Test'.  No problems at all.  Each step was completed with no problems.  I ended the evening by dis-assembling the chassis back down to the bare RF board.   At that point, I started installing more resistors.  

Adding more components to the RF board


Currently I am on page 49 of the manual.  The next time that power is applied to the radio is on page 63 for the "Alignment and Test, Part II".  That will be at least another week worth of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment