Friday, February 20, 2009

Word for the day: Aniseikonia

Well its the morning after the eye surgery and my pupil size is back to normal. I decided that I would try out my current distance glasses by removing the lens for the right eye. I put the glasses on keeping both eyes closed. I opened my left eye and focused on an object in the kitchen. I then closed my left eye and opened my right eye. Wow what a difference in size. Now for the test. What will the object look like with both eyes open. I opened my eyes and my brain could not merge the images. The glasses came off as fast as I could get them off my face.

After reading on the Internet several days before the operation I came across the term: Aniseikonia, a problem with vision where images on each of the retinas are different sizes. I think that if I would have kept my glasses on I would have been sick.

The drive up to Orem, Utah for my followup eye appointment was fun. I didn't wear any glasses so I could not see that great out of my left eye. My right eye that was operated on had to do all the work. I was fine until I reached I-15 where there was lots of traffic. I really had to pay attention so I would not get into an accident.

The eye doctor checked my eye and found that it was healing nicely. Vision was 20-20 with a very slight astigmatism. I needed some computer glasses for work Monday so I asked the doc what he could come up with. After a few minutes he had a trial frame with some lenses. I put the glasses on and sat down in front of the computer. So far so good, let me see, why am I seeing double? Aniseikonia!! Well, the only solution besides getting the other eye operated on for cataracts, is a contact lens. I would like to have the other eye operated on but in the mean time I am now wearing a contact. The doctor applied some numbing drops to the left eye, popped in the contact, and wow it seems to be working.

Well I will have to give this contact thing a try. I tried wearing contacts about 5 years ago and couldn't stand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment