Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Finally, this clock is finished


I like to build clocks using patterns from http://www.wildwooddesigns.com/. Included are some photos of a clock that was finally finished this week. The clock was started one and a half years ago for a friend of mine where I work. Once his clock was started, somehow 5 other clocks cut in line in front of his.

This clock is the Worthington hall clock. Its the 4th clock that I have completed using this pattern.
All the fretwork parts of this clock were cut out using a 26" RBI hawk scroll saw. The stain and
finish on the clock was applied using a Graco HVLP sprayer.
In the photo to the right, the trim is being

attached to the face of the clock. Next the clear coats are applied.




Last Saturday 31 Jan, 2009 the weather was nice enough to setup outside to apply the finish to the clock.
This is the completed clock. Scott, my friend from work told me to take as much time as I wanted to complete the clock as long as he received it before he retired.
The clock also has a pendulum that is not installed in the photo on the left.
I really like how the finish turned out on the clock. The clock is constructed using 1/4" Baltic birch 5 ply plywood with an internal pine support structure.
Well, I have two more clocks like this that I have already started cutting out. These will have to be completed before I start on the Lacy Swiss clock. I am thinking about keeping one of the clocks for the front room, and selling the other clock.

I think a lighter finish with dark trim might look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment