Saturday, February 7, 2009

The 30 Year Leather Handbag project

Sometimes I just don't work on projects for a long time. Just after high school 1978 - 1980 I did some leather work and made a handbag for my girlfriend at the time. My mom saw the handbag and had to have one. The supplies for the handbag were acquired and the project started. Then life happened (Marriage, Children, Job, etc.) and I forgot about the handbag. Yes I know that its a lame excuse but the handbag ended up in the basement lost with all the other junk that's down there.

A couple of weeks ago, I was out visiting my parents and the discussion came up about me and how sometimes I don't finish projects. At that point my mother piped in with a "Where's my handbag???". I was finally shamed into completing the project I began over 30 years ago. I wondered if the parts for the handbag could even be located in the basement. Fifteen to twenty minutes later most of the parts for the handbag were found.

I created a list of the missing items needed to complete the handbag. The additional items needed to complete the handbag were purchased at a Tandy leather store in salt lake city. I wondered if Tandy Leather was even in business. I bought some additional tools and a 12" x 12" x 1 1/2" piece of granite to tool the leather on.

I started tooling the leather and quickly noticed that my eyes were not the same as they were 30 years ago. On came the lights and the thought crossed my mind to get out the lighted magnifying glass I use with the scroll saw. A few days later I was lacing up the handbag and putting the finishing touches on it.

I took the handbag out to my parents house. I had my wife wear the bag over her shoulder when we walked into the house. My mom keep looking at it but didn't say anything. Finally my wife asked my mom how she liked her bag. We finally let her know that it was hers. Later I told my dad that I would make a wallet for him but he would probably not be alive 30 years from now when I get it finished.

1 comment:

  1. That bag is amazing!!!!!

    Thanks for the camera link, it was really helpful. I've always liked my camera shots but I feel technology forcefully pushing me forward. I'll try to resist.

    ReplyDelete